Paris is the fashion capital of the world, walking through its marvelous streets it’s impossible not to notice that Parisians are amongst the most fashionable people in the world. But what does that mean about France as a country? Does the Parisian reputation applies to all cities? After living in the north of France for a year I was affected by the French style, not just the Parisian.
I’ve noticed that after few months of living in France my personal style has evolved. I got to absorb the culture, and slowly it affected my fashion choices as well. I developed a unique style that was a mixture of my previous life living in a warm country, and my current life in France. I know it sounds like a cliche, but it was kind of like “when in Rome, do as the Romans do” only subconsciously at the time.
I was sitting in cute outdoor cafes, watching women walking by and observed their style choices. I later went shopping in the quest for the items that I saw and liked. For example, I grew fond of T-shirts with cute French words printed on it, everything leather, hats, and coats with fur collars. I absorbed the french culture, the language, the customs, and the style.
So what did I learn about style after living in France?
- In France, shopping is a part of the leisure activities. Every weekend the shopping centers and the shopping streets are packed with shoppers who don’t miss any sales.
- Even at the coldest weather, French women invest in their outfits. While I was struggling, they managed to pull off being warm and looking fashionable at the same time.
- Clothes with French words printed on them are a big hit.
- The French prefer buying one quality item rather than five cheap ones.
- Galleries Lafayette is not just for shoppers with big budget.
- Matchy lingerie are a must.
- Style evolves, and as people change so do their personal style.
- Style can depend on your mood, not just the weather and the occasion.
- Fashion inspiration exists on the streets, in the park, or even on the subway.
- It’s not just about the clothes, it’s about the environment, the vibe, the beautiful buildings.
What do you think about my style evolution?
Please feel free to share your opinions in the comments below.